Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Cute Little Cake that Could!

After all the Christmas mayhem, I took a much needed hiatus from baking!  This is the first cake of the year, and who better to make a cake for than my sweet little sister?!  

This is a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, covered in fondant.  The flowers are gumpaste and fondant. Both recipes can be found in an earlier post, here.
 Boy does this cake have a story! I found out my sister was coming home and was 100% sure I had everything I needed to make her a Red Velvet cake.  Welp, I only had 1/2 cup of white sugar in my whole house! This never, ever, happens to me  (I blame the new WeightWatchers Diet).  On a whim, I decided I would use light brown sugar for the rest of what I needed (it has yet to be tasted, so I'll report back).  I had a wonderful time mixing the batter in my new Kitchenaid Pro600 (thanks mom and dad!), and I got the cakes in the oven.  While they were baking, I mixed up some cream cheese buttercream, and it looked/tasted great.  The cakes came out, and when I turned them out of the pans, parts of the bottoms stuck! UGH! I blame the brown sugar. I pop them in the freezer to speed cool and come back in about 30 minutes.  The cakes are fine, but my cream cheese buttercream has gone gloppy (I don't have a better word).  I try to frost the cake, but it is just not working out with this gloppy, yet delicious, mess of frosting.  I get very discouraged and almost give up, then I decide to just cover the sucker in some fondant I had - VOILA! Now, there are some problems at the bottom because the gloppy frosting wanted to come out (guess it didn't like being hidden, ha!), but I think it turned out just fine ... I will report back when the taste test comes in!



I made these flowers out of fondant and gumpaste a couple weeks ago, and they are my favorite.  I love them. 

Sweet For Sirten is on WeightWatchers! So, stay tuned for some lightened up cake and frosting recipes - this should be fun! 

Happy Baking! 

1 comment:

  1. Can not wait for the lighter ones!!!! this is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete